Team Integra Forums banner

TurboLS Log: The passing of a titan :-(

289K views 1K replies 114 participants last post by  TurboLS 
#1 · (Edited)
*I have changed the title of the thread to the above as I want to turn this into a running log.*

Table of Contents

1.) What was the Impetus for the Rebuild/Overhaul
2.) Running Expenses
[*]Machine Shop Expenses
[*]Tool Expenses
[*]Timeline (Time taken to do the job!)
[*]Parts Expenses
[/list]3.) Methods for Checking Component Functionality/Tolerance
4.) Goals for the car UPDATED!
5.) Analysis of Overhaul/Modifications (Dyno, street tune, spark plug observations, gas blowby % numbers, etc. will be included here)

Impetus for Overhaul

Yeah, I was not a mile from my place this past sunday when the car just up and died. Thankfully, I had enough momentum to get out of the way of traffic. Sure enough, I had the timing belt flapping out of the top near where the exposed cam gears are...

I just bit the bullet and bought a valvespring compressor, Honda attachment, and head swap gaskets, seals, etc. to do the swap with my other LS head. Timing sucks, I already bought people Xmas gifts and headgaskets aren't cheap dammit... oh well, live and learn i guess.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry to hear that man. Been there, done that. It sucks but at least you have the stuff to fix it with. Good luck!

#11 ·
YellowTeggy05 on Dec/12/06 said:
Did you do regular maintenence? Was the timing belt changed before?
yeah, i'll have to double check that. i had a shop do my swap a while back 60k miles ago and I'm pretty sure they did it. If not, then it was way past it's time at 100k lol.

#12 ·
lol, hate to say it, but jdm engines had 30k miles maybe years ago...

Its my guess that the tbelt was not done when the engine was installed(not the first instance I have seen of this from them) and your mileage is beyond what you estimate, but I have been wrong in past!

I did a jdm swap in a friend of mines car, and it had "30-40k" miles...... By the 30-40k, I estimated it to be more like 80-100k. It had previously had the valve cover removed, and I believe it had already recieved a timing belt sometime in its life...

#14 ·
Itll never happen. AFAIK its just 2 completely independent operations.

JDM land, wrecked/whatever cars stripped, put in ship, sent to US. US sells 100% unknown history stuff.

Unless you bought a whole clip which would include dash and cluster.

Dont sweat it, my DD has 184000 miles and it doesnt burn any oil really, and aside from the god awful LS gearing has the same power as any other ls I have ever driven(this is on a test with the dyno pictured below)

#20 ·
cmon' folks.

the first thing i learned after purchasing my very first honda was to never take chances with the timing belt for this very reason.

i know it's expensive but so is replacing an engine.

ill have to change my belt in another 7,000 miles or so, but I'll do it willingly.

#25 ·
OK, so I just finished draining the oil, coolant, and pulling the IM and associated hardware. That's like 1/4 the battle. I'm takin off early from work tomorrow to try to get some daylight time on this job. BTW, is there any way to tell just how bad the valves are without taking them out?? Like, if I popped the head off and just looked at them from the bottom, would bends be obvious??

#26 ·
Alright, well, I finally had some time to take the head off. I haven't yet received my valvespring compressor or the honda attachment, so I can't really do anything with it. I did take some pics tho. Lemme know what you guys think. The valve faces look a bit questionable...

This was a ***** to get out. The alternator adjustment nut rounded off. Therefore, I had to take the lower bracket off with the alternator and jimmy the damn thing out. I ended up taking the fuel rail off and that seemed to give me enough clearance.

A little bit of coolant did get into one cylinder during removal (as seen in the above pic). Should I attempt to sop that up or just let it evaporate or what??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.